I was looking for window treatments for my daughter’s bedroom; it’s a window seat, so it’s really hard to find treatments for a window like that. I knew that I wanted something that would both let light in, and allow for enough privacy, so she could hide, and have some alone time, read, or play with her ipad. I also, knew that I wanted something with interest without having to go with a bold pattern curtain, because there is a lot of color, texture, and pattern throughout the whole room. I decided to go with a patterned cornice board, and a sheer, light, airy curtain.
I don’t know if you know this, but cornice boards can be quite expensive! Starting at $20.00/foot! That was not something I could spend with my budget, and I knew that wasn’t going to work with my penny pinching hubs! So…. in comes the DIYJ
First, measure your window, and figure out what size you would like your cornice board to be. I cut mine at 46.5 inches long, and 4.5 inches on the sides. You will need a 1x10, (about $8.00) some corner brackets or L brackets, (I paid like $7 bucks for 4 big ones, you will need more if you don’t have a jig) a package of batting, (I paid $5.40 with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby) and enough fabric to cover your board. I want to emphasize enough fabric to cover your board, because my fabric wasn’t long enough! I only got a yard, because I was intending on making pillows with the fabric, but decided to use it for the cornice instead. So, I had to cover the front first, then the sides, making my job just a little harder. If you are going to make one about the size of mine than a yard and a half should do. You could make 2 with that much fabric!
Next, using my Kreg Jig (best thing ever) I made pocket holes for the joints, and screwed the sides to the front board. If you don’t have a jig, you most certainly can join the boards together with L brackets. Super simple!
I then covered, and stapled the batting on, ironed my fabric, and stapled that on as well.
Lastly, I hung it up, using corner brackets. Easy Peasy and it adds so much to the look of the window. Only cost me about $15.00! My budget was happy, and so was the hubbyJ
Here is a peak at the tree mural I hand painted! I am going to add shelves on some of the branches! Took a little bit of time, but it’s so worth it.